The work shows that brain regions that process negative emotions (for example, anger and sadness) are overactive in people with BPD, while brain regions that would normally help damp down negative emotions are underactive.
People with BPD tend to have unstable and turbulent emotions which can lead to chaotic relationships with others, and which put them at higher risk than average for suicide. A number of brain imaging studies have found differences in the function of brains of people with BPD, but some of the studies have been contradictory.
A team led by Anthony C. Ruocco, assistant professor in the Department of Psychology and program in neuroscience, analyzed data from 11 previously published studies and confirmed a number of important differences between people with BPD and those without.
On the one hand, a brain area called the insula – which helps determine how intensely we experience negative emotions – is hyperactive in people with BPD. On the other hand, regions in the frontal part of the brain – which are thought to help us control our emotional reactions – are underactive.
“It’s not just that they have too much drive from their emotions,” Ruocco says. “They seem to have less of the ‘brakes’
- Borderline Personality Disorder Tests. (childhoodtraumarecovery.com)
- Borderline Personality Disorder: The Pursuit of Stability & Recovery (makebpdstigmafree.wordpress.com)
- What is Borderline Personality Disorder? (spirallingdownwards.wordpress.com)
- Borderline Personality Disorder in the Movies (psychologytoday.com)
- Borderline Personality Disorder and Insanity Under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 (alkanupursingh.wordpress.com)
- Mental disorder seen as ‘badness, not sickness’ (sciencenews.org)
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Facts Versus Myths (bpdsufferer30.wordpress.com)
- 31 Days of BPD Challenge: Day 25 (mm172001.wordpress.com)
- How Borderline Personality Symptoms Reinforce Each Other. (childhoodtraumarecovery.com)
- Borderline Personality Disorder and ‘The Chameleon Effect’ (makebpdstigmafree.wordpress.com)